Saturday, January 31, 2009

Hospice Nursing


When we moved to Amherst I thought I would start working as a nurse in a hospital as I had in Washington DC, but because of lots of pretty uninteresting reasons, I found myself searching to "help wanted" ads a few months into our time here. Surprisingly, I ended up finding the perfect job for me and my family. If any of you know Anders, you know he's a fundamentalist when it comes to his hate of cars, so to find a nursing job within walking distance of our apartment was essential. I had given up hope, but it turns out, tucked away about 2 blocks from our house is an amazing little house that serves as an in-patient hospice center.

And it turns out I love hospice nursing...and it doesn't make me too sad or depressed even! I don't know if I'm a super Hospice nurse yet, but I'm getting more and more comfortable and, I think, doing a better and better job. And it challenges me...not so much academically, but certainly emotionally and spiritually. Well, this was a pretty general posting, but I hope I can process my experiences more in the future.

1 comment:

Hicks Family said...

Hospice nursing sounds great and I am so glad you were able to find that job within walking distance. God is great, isn't He? I used to work with a company that sent out caregivers to elders' homes so they could stay in their homes longer and we worked a lot with Hospice. I'd love to hear more about your experiences as I think this is something we have in common. How long have you been living in Amherst?