Wednesday, January 28, 2009

An Interesting Community

Well I was looking around today for a new book for our book club we have organized of moms/almost moms who are my neighbors. I'd never been in a book club before, but its actually been lots of fun because of the books but also because it gives us an excuse to escape our houses! Our first book was "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning per my suggestion. Our second book was "Redeeming Love", a romance novel by Francine Rivers which I surprisingly enjoyed. We are now onto the task of picking our third book. Two of the books I ended up suggesting today were by a man named Shane Claiborne who is part of a community much along the line of the Catholic Worker House movement of living in solidarity with the poor. His two books are called "Jesus for President: Politics for an Ordinary Radical" and "Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical" in which he explores the radical call of Christ to a life of radical love. Sounds intriguing and great and potentially life-changing if one were in the mood for a life change. Here a link to his community The Simple Way.

1 comment:

Hicks Family said...

I must say, the Jesus for President book sounds very intriguing. Maybe I am wrong but it sounded like it would give a whole new perspective to the way we look at politics and I am thinking I need a new perspective...